Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Joe Floats my Boat







After many many years, I finally got the chance to go back and dine at Joe Fortes. It's not the most affordable places, so the last time I went there, it was because my friend was a chef there, and now I have the pleasure to know one of the pastry chefs.



We started off w/ complementary appie. Bruchetta accompanied by foie gras pate, summer pate, and a type of apple gelee. The flavors of the patees were great and very bold, but was nicely tamed with the sweetness of the apple gelee, and what seemed to have been a type of raspberry puree.



Classic Brown Derby Cobb Salad.$17.95
A classic at Joe Fortes w/ blue cheese, avocado, tomatoes, chicken and dressing. I didn't try it, but I was very impressed when the waitress came out w/ the ingredients all separated. then mixed them together on 1 plate, as she tossed it with one hand. A very entertaining party trick, I must say.





Miso Marinate Sablefish. $25.95
I was a little suprised at the size of this dish, compared to the salad I thought it might be bigger. Nonetheless, I tried a little of this dish. It had a nice rich savoury taste, with a nice hint of sweetness, almost caramelized miso perhaps? But the fish itself was like butter. Full of flavor, and so moist. Cooked perfectly.


Seafood Linguine.$21.95
I don't think I stopped saying "yum" the whole time I ate this. This dish was full of flavor, and full of rich, large pieces of seafood(salmon, scallops, prawns etc) however, the flavor wasn't overpowered by seafood taste. I had absolutely nothing bad to say about this dish.

Last but not least, brought out to our table by our friend pastry chef herself. This wasnt even on the menu. Lava cake, chocolate mousse, vanilla ice cream w/ coconut wafer and my personal favorite, disassembled banana cream pie. Absolute bliss.



My overall impression, I was amazed by the customer service that we recieved, and the food was great. It's quite pricey, but with food and service that good, it's all worth it.




Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House on Urbanspoon


Joe Fortes Seafood Restaurant
777 Thurlow Street
Vancouver, BC
604-669-1940
http://www.joefortes.ca/










No comments:

Post a Comment